Great Strides: Celebrating Women in Medicine at NYU Langone Medical Center

Breaking Professional Barriers

Prior to 1930, women physicians were hired by the Medical College as instructors or lecturers. These women set the stage for the hiring and promotion of female medical faculty at NYU: May A. Sweeton, BS, Instructor, 1916-17; Margaret Morris Hoskins, PhD, Lecturer in Anatomy, 1917-18; May Catherine Schroeder, MD, Instructor in Hygiene, 1919-20; and Sara Josephine Baker, MD, Lecturer, 1920-21.

The first female medical faculty member at the University and Bellevue Hospital Medical College of NYU was Lucy Dubois Porter Sutton, MD, (1891-1938). Dr. Sutton began her career at NYU as associate visiting physician to the Children’s Medical Service at Bellevue Hospital in 1930. She served as director of the Children’s Cardiology Service until her untimely death in 1938. Dr. Sutton was elected a Fellow of the New York Academy of Medicine in 1927.

Women continued to make professional inroads at NYU. By 1931, the Medical College had three additional female faculty members: Muriel Iveney, MD, Assistant Clinical Professor of Neurology; Josephine Hemenway Kenyon, MD, Pediatrics; and Edith Lincoln, MD, Pediatrics.

Pages