The Archives offer a variety of services to members of the NYU Langone community and general public seeking to conduct scholarly research.
On-Site Research Request
Researchers interested in working with the archival collections or rare books of the NYU medical archives must schedule an appointment two weeks prior to the visit. Scheduling an appointment in advance will enable archives staff to retrieve the necessary materials and ensure that they are ready prior to arrival. To arrange an appointment at the archives, please submit your request via the Archives Reference Request Form.
Hours: 10am - 5pm, Monday to Friday by appointment, closed weekends and holidays.
Many of our items are rare and fragile, and to preserve them we have a few rules regarding their use:
- Researchers must submit a signed research request form that is sent with your appointment confirmation.
- Non-flash photography by researchers, for personal use, must be requested and approved prior to site visit.
- Personal scanners/copiers may not be used to make digital copies of archival material.
- Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Archives must be applied for separately in writing.
- Requests for image reproductions from our digital collections can be made during a visit, but may take up to three days to be approved.
A staff member will spend 15 minutes of research time without charge on remote research requests. Additional time will be subject to the research fee of $25.00 per hour, plus reproduction and other applicable charges. Extensive research, requiring more than 3 hours, cannot be conducted remotely. Contact the Archives via the Reference Contact Form for more information.
Reproductions of archival records are made solely for private study for the individual researcher requesting them. Copyright is not conveyed with the reproductions. The researcher must not quote from, publish, reproduce, or display any material from the copy, in whole or in part, without written permission from the copyright holder and from the NYU Medical Archives. Responsibility for determining the rights holders and adhering to copyright law rests with the researcher. Transfer of copies to another library or other entity is prohibited. Posting copies online without permission from the Archives is not permitted. See Document Reproductions for more information.
Reproduction of images is available for personal and commercial use. Requests for images are usually processed within a day or two once payment is received. See Images and Licensing for more information.