Person Preferred Name

Clarence E. de la Chapelle

Clarence E. de la Chapelle

Image

Portrait of Clarence E. de la Chapelle, MD (1898-1987). Dr. De la Chapelle received his MD from University and Bellevue Hospital Medical College in 1922. He joined the faculty of the medical school in 1925, where he remained for the duration of his career as a leading cardiologist. Dr. De la Chapelle held various leadership roles at the medical school, including serving as Assistant Dean and Associate Dean from 1943-1948, and as Associate Dean of the Post-Graduate Medical School from 1948-1963. On February 18, 1971, the Bellevue Hospital Medical library was named for, and dedicated, to Dr. Clarence E. de la Chapelle. In 1983, he endowed the NYU Medical Library Archives in memory of his late wife of 51 years, the former Lillian Buckmann.

Clarence E. de la Chapelle

Image

Portrait of Clarence E. de la Chapelle, MD (1898-1987). Dr. De la Chapelle received his MD from University and Bellevue Hospital Medical College in 1922. He joined the faculty of the medical school in 1925, where he remained for the duration of his career as a leading cardiologist. Dr. De la Chapelle held various leadership roles at the medical school, including serving as Assistant Dean and Associate Dean from 1943-1948, and as Associate Dean of the Post-Graduate Medical School from 1948-1963. On February 18, 1971, the Bellevue Hospital Medical library was named for, and dedicated, to Dr. Clarence E. de la Chapelle. In 1983, he endowed the NYU Medical Library Archives in memory of his late wife of 51 years, the former Lillian Buckmann.

Bellevue Hospital Medical College - East 26th Street Building

Image

Sketch of the New York University School of Medicine building at East 26th Street in Manhattan by Dr. Clarence de la Chappelle. Originally built for the Bellevue Hospital Medical College, NYU acquired the property in 1898 when the two schools merged. Dr. De la Chapelle received his M.D. from University and Bellevue Hospital Medical College in 1922. He joined the faculty of the medical school in 1925, where he remained for the duration of his career as a leading cardiologist.