The Archives offer a variety of services to members of the NYU Langone community and general public seeking to conduct scholarly research.
On-Site Research Request
Researchers interested in working with the archival collections or rare books of the NYU medical archives must schedule an appointment two weeks prior to the visit. Scheduling an appointment in advance will enable archives staff to retrieve the necessary materials and ensure that they are ready prior to arrival. To arrange an appointment at the archives, please submit your request via the Archives Reference Request Form.
Hours: 10am - 5pm, Monday to Friday by appointment, closed weekends and holidays.
Many of our items are rare and fragile, and to preserve them we have a few rules regarding their use.
- All coats and bags must be checked.
- All researchers must leave a photo ID with the Archives staff while using materials.
- Non-flash photography by researchers, for personal use, must be requested and approved prior to site visit.
- Permission to publish or reproduce materials from the Archives & Special Collections must be applied for separately in writing.
- Requests for image reproductions from our digital collections can be made during a visit, but may take up to three days to be approved.
Mail-In Research Request
A staff member will spend 15 minutes of research time without charge. Additional time will be subject to the research fee of $25.00 per hour, plus reproduction and mailing charges.
Extensive research, requiring more than 1 hour, cannot be conducted via mail.
Reproductions of archival records will be made solely for private study for the individual researcher requesting them. Copyright is not conveyed with the copies. The researcher must not quote from, publish, reproduce, or display any material from the copy, in whole or in part, without written permission from the copyright holder and from the NYU medical archives. Responsibility for determining the rights holders and adhering to copyright law rests with the researcher. Transfer of copies to another library or other entity is prohibited. Posting copies to the Web is not permitted. Please see Document Reproductions for ordering procedures.
Reproduction of images is available for personal and commercial use. Requests for images are usually processed within a day or two once payment is received. Please see Images and Commercial Licenses for more information.