Exterior view of the Bellevue Hospital gatehouse, circa 1890. Some men can be seen at the gate and inside the courtyard. The gates were erected in 1885 and stood on the north side of 26th Street, midway between First Avenue and the East River. The entrance was demolished in 1929 to allow for construction of the O.P.D. Building. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads, “Summer 1890.”